Skip to main content

Coping With Rejection (Part 2)

Last week I blogged about coping with rejection after I had eight rejections all at once. (If I could work out how to link back to that post I would but I can't so I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it or scroll down the page!)

A couple of days later, I came across a really helpful article in the 2011 edition of the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook (A&C Black) by a coach and trainer called Alison Straw. The article is called "Dealing With Rejection" and if you have a copy of the book (and I'm sure you have!) you can find it on page 659.

Alison outlines nine (I would have had to do ten!) key points on managing rejection and building up resistance to it, all of which I found extremely useful. Some of her suggestions include pausing and letting the dust settle, channelling negative emotions about the rejection into positive activity, asking others for advice, focusing on success and trying again.

It may be stuff we already know but the order in which the key points are grouped and the practical and positive stance the article takes, certainly helped me with my bruised ego when I read it. The quote at the end of the article from Sir Winston Churchill - "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" is particularly apt for writers, although as I said in my previous post, we aren't supposed to call them "failures"!

If you are feeling in need of something to help you cope with rejection that doesn't involve strong liquor, high bridges or a trip to the local job centre, I would urge you to read this article for yourself. And while you are about it, take a look the website http://www.writersandartists.co.uk There is a wealth of information for writers on there (including how to cope with rejection!), guest blogs and links to other useful books and courses. Before you know it, you'll be so fired up, you'll have forgotten all about that rejection.


 

Comments

  1. Good advice from Alison Straw to let the dust settle. I find it's a good idea to move onto something completely different for a while before going back to the rejected piece. I haven't been on the WAYB site for a while but have always found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have copied the main points of the advice from Alison Straw's article onto a piece of paper and stuck it above my desk. Hopefully that means I'll cope with rejection better next time! Let me know what you think of the WAYB site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu...