Skip to main content

When Writing Websites Go Wrong

In the heady days when I had money and the surplus cash in my bank account wasn't 0.03p, I paid a website designer around £500 to build me a writing website. It looked fabulous and I received loads of compliments, although interestingly enough, not one single commission or request for work. Instead I had lots of emails (well, one or two) from prisoners wanting me to "ghost" their life story, English graduates asking me for advice on becoming a writer (don't give up the day job) and school children wanting help with their homework.

However, the main problem with my website was what would happen if I needed to make even a tiny change, such as adding a news item or updating my biography. I had to email my designer with the changes, wait for him to email me back to say he'd done them, proof-read the changes on the site, email the designer again to say they were OK (or not), then wait for him to email me back to say the changes were now "live". Although he was pretty efficient at getting the changes done quickly and usually for no extra charge, it was a laborious and frustrating process.

Flushed with the success of building my own crafting website (www.melissalawrencedesigns.com) with one of the online design templates, I decided to have a go at designing and building a new writing website. It wouldn't cost me anything to build, the hosting fees were slightly cheaper than my current ones and I'd finally have control over the content. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, just about everything actually. Bearing in mind that I'm not a computer expert by any means, I began to realise that I'd probably created my crafting website more by luck than judgement. I had problems adding images. They flatly refused to go anywhere near where I wanted them to go, leaving me with some "unusual" page layouts. I had problems adding text (very important for a writing website) as the line spacing proved a nightmare. Also, linking to previously published pieces of work wasn't exactly easy either.

I managed to complete the site design eventually and was all set to go "live" when I discovered, much to my surprise, that transferring my existing domain name to the new site had resulted in me losing my main email service. No one had told me this might happen or what to do when it did. Without going into all the details, I ended up being without email for ten days. I was also suddenly plunged into a world of "IPS tags" and "File Transfer Protocol", none of which meant anything to me. The final insult was when I had to buy back my own domain name from the company I'd just transferred it from and re-set up my own email account three times! Then just when I thought everything had finally been sorted out, the new site "disappeared" and the old one came back in its place. I was not a happy bunny.

So, here are my top tips, based on my experience, if you are thinking of building your own writing website:

1. The companies offering a "build your own site" almost certainly assume that you have more computer knowledge than you probably have. Be prepared to be given information in "techno-speak", not plain English and don't expect a "step by step" hand-holding guide to building your site.

2. The profits made by these companies are low as they offer a low cost service. This means you may get "low-cost" customer service and support. This can be a real problem, especially "out of hours" or if your problem occurs just before a four day Bank holiday weekend as mine did. You may end up having to rant on their Facebook page to get attention!

3. Be prepared to conduct all your (numerous) communications with your hosting company entirely by email as they are unlikely to offer any form of telephone support. This can be a major problem if building your site has caused you to lose your email service! Certainly consider getting a back-up email service if you don't already have one.

4. Find out before you start building your site whether your new company only offers an email forwarding service as this may not be suitable for your needs.

5. Get someone else to build it for you.

I hope this helps. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has found building their own website as stressful as I did (if there is anyone else!) and in the meantime, maybe you'd like to take a look at my new website (www.melissalawrence.co.uk) as it is finally up and running at last.



      

Comments

  1. Excellent tips. I have often thought I need a proper website. At the moment it is simply a WordPress blog. It does the business and, in fact, I have had several commissions through it (also several offers that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole). However, I could do with a more professional-looking site so I think I will have to bite the bullet. Having been blogging for more than 3 years I now have 3 separate blogs (one of which I run for an association) so I am reasonably computer literate - but probably not enough to set up my own site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you again. It's been a while! Trust me, if I can set up my own website, anyone can but if you can afford it, go for a designer/builder. I'd bear in mind what I said about being able to manage the content yourself though. Let me know if there is any other help or advice I can give you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu

The Mail on Sunday Feature

Hi everyone. Well, it's not every day that The Mail on Sunday runs a double-page spread about the book you are writing. This is what happened to me last Sunday, and I'm still recovering from the shock. It was about three weeks ago that I received an email, completely out of the blue, from the paper's chief reporter. Apparently, he had been researching the issue of copyright on unpublished letters for something he was working on and had come across a blog post that I had  written about this very subject. https://melissalawrencewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/publish-and-be-damned.html The post in question was about my own copyright issues concerning the large collection of letters and postcards I have inherited from my grandmother. These are not just any old letters and postcards. They were written to my grandmother by her close friend, Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, between

What Makes A Good Beginning?

Hi everyone. Happy New Year! I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas, if you celebrate it of course, and as it’s now the beginning of another new year, I thought I’d pose the question “What makes a good beginning?” So if you’ve not already had enough quizzes over the festive period, you might like to have a go at seeing how many of these famous novels you can identify from their opening lines. Answers are at the end of the post if you want to put yourself out of your misery. 1. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. 2. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. 3. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. 4. Call me Ishmael. 5. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. 6. It was a pleasure to burn. 7. Like most people I lived for a long time with my mother and father . 8. Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . 9. Far out in the uncharted b