Skip to main content

Back On The Horse

Hi everyone.

And I'm back, almost a year to the day since my last writing blog post. This time twelve months ago, my closest friend and "confidante" had just passed away from cancer. It was one of the lowest points of my entire life especially as it was my third major bereavement in six years and felt like the last straw of many last straws.

I hadn't been in a great place with my writing for a while, as you can probably tell from that post and I had pretty much decided that after 18 years or so, writing as a "profession" was no longer for me. I had decided just to think of writing as a "hobby" and concentrate on my new career as a crafter, designer and scrapbooker instead.

Well, here I am a year on and feeling much better about everything, I'm very pleased to say. Ironically, I found that once I'd taken the pressure off myself by only thinking of writing as a "hobby", I got more writing done than I had in ages! Then, once I began to feel better and the grieving process had moved on, I found myself writing consistently again and a couple of months ago decided it was time to get "back on the horse" and add writing to my portfolio career again.

This time round, I'm concentrating on writing non-fiction books and have a very exciting (and rather scary!) project in the pipeline with a definite link to Downton Abbey! I will reveal more in a future post. The jury is still out on whether or not I return to writing fiction for children but I'm still writing poetry and am in the process of putting together my first collection of "adult" poems.

So, a lot can happen in twelve months and I am pretty excited about what the next twelve months will hold for me. I hope they are good for you, too.



"Always remembered, never forgotten."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Rant Against Writers' Groups

When I opened my copy of the Autumn issue of The New Writer earlier today ( http://www.thenewwriter.com/ ) I was rather surprised to see how many times my name appeared. It was nine times if anyone other than me is interested, even beating the great Simon Whaley (Hi Simon!) who was only mentioned seven times, although I'm happy to accept a re-count if he insists on one. On a more serious note, the reason for this unusual proliferation was because a while back, I had a piece published in the open "rant" slot of TNW explaining why, in my opinion, professional writers shouldn't belong to writers' groups. I admit I had my Polly Toynbee hat on at the time and was trying to be a bit controversial but nevertheless, I stand by everything I said in that piece. Much to my surprise, someone agreed with me. Someone also strongly disagreed with me, saying I had been"extremely patronising" and expressing great relief that I wasn't a member of their writers...