Skip to main content

Downton Abbey (2)

Hi everyone.

I hope you had a good Bank Holiday weekend. It was a bit of a wash-out here so I hope it was better where you are.

Actually, the wet weekend didn't really bother me too much. I spent most of it putting the finishing touches to a new website I've set up. This is to publicise the collection of letters I inherited from my grandmother which I'm trying to get published as a non-fiction book called 'My Dear Elsie'.

Those of you who follow this blog will know that the letters have a strong link to the popular UK television series Downton Abbey. This is because they were written by my grandmother's close friend Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, the elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon. As you may know, the Carnarvon family were the real-life inspiration for the fictional Crawley family in Downton Abbey and much of the series was filmed at their ancestral seat of Highclere Castle.

The website, as well as providing interesting biographical information (with photos!) about Lady Burghclere and Ethel North, also goes into a bit more detail about the fascinating content of the letters themselves. In addition, I've set up a blog on the website which I intend to use to chart my progress with my efforts to get them into print.

Talking of blogs, I probably won't be blogging here again for the foreseeable future. This is partly because I'll be concentrating on my blog about the progress of the book but also because I have recently added a new strand to my career "portfolio". As from last week, I am now a freelance designer and I feel I need to put a lot of effort into setting that up and establishing myself so like a few other things in my working life, this blog will have to go on hold for a while.

I do hope you will feel able to join me over at my new blog and also to take a look at the new website. It would be great to hear from you there as I need all the encouragement I can get!

You can find the new website and blog at:

http://ladyburghclereandethel.com/

In the meantime, thanks very much for visiting this blog and I hope to see you again soon.


Copyright Melissa Lawrence 2015




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu

The Mail on Sunday Feature

Hi everyone. Well, it's not every day that The Mail on Sunday runs a double-page spread about the book you are writing. This is what happened to me last Sunday, and I'm still recovering from the shock. It was about three weeks ago that I received an email, completely out of the blue, from the paper's chief reporter. Apparently, he had been researching the issue of copyright on unpublished letters for something he was working on and had come across a blog post that I had  written about this very subject. https://melissalawrencewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/publish-and-be-damned.html The post in question was about my own copyright issues concerning the large collection of letters and postcards I have inherited from my grandmother. These are not just any old letters and postcards. They were written to my grandmother by her close friend, Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, between

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.