Skip to main content

Groundhog Year

Hi everyone.

This is slightly spooky! I've been meaning to start posting on this blog again for a while now but hadn't quite managed to get round to it until today. I've just looked back to see when I last posted and it is almost exactly one year to the day. I certainly had no idea that this was the case and it does feel a bit like Groundhog Day or rather Groundhog Year as I could quite easily begin this post in exactly the same way as I did twelve months ago. "I hope you had a good Bank Holiday weekend. It was a bit of a wash-out here so I hope it was better where you are."

But that would be rather lazy of me and besides, it wasn't so much a wash-out as more of a severe tropical storm with lots of thunder and lightning which was indeed very, very frightening, especially when you foolishly haven't renewed your home insurance.

It was interesting looking back, as it always is, to see where I was at with my writing 12 months ago today. According to my post, I was putting the finishing touches to the website I had set up to publicise the book I was (and still am) working on called My Dear Elsie. This is based on a collection of old letters I found in my late mother's wardrobe which have a very strong connection to the popular TV series Downton Abbey.

If you are interested in finding out more about the letters and the book, this is the link to the website:

https://ladyburghclereandethel.com/

It would be great to be able to say that 12 months on, the website has done its job and that the book has been taken up by a top literary agent and is about to be published, netting me an advance of a six figure sum. Sadly that isn't quite the case. Despite having had the website up and running for a year now which resulted in some useful publicity via my local radio station, an offer to put the book on a CD which for various reasons I couldn't take up and an unexpected email from Lady Carnarvon, I don't seem to be any closer to getting a book deal than I was 12 months ago.

However, as you will see from the blog posts I've been putting on the website for My Dear Elsie, I certainly haven't given up on the project and I'm using this "pre-offer" time to crack on with typing up and researching the letters which is definitely helping me to maintain my enthusiasm for it.

It was also interesting to see where I was at in other areas of my life 12 months ago, too. Apparently I had just set myself up as a freelance designer as part of my "portfolio career". Well, 12 months later, I have even more strands in my portfolio as I'm now a designer, crafter, writer and musical entertainer which might go some way to explaining why I'm not quite so far along in my various writing projects as I'd like to be.

I'm definitely planning to blog here more than once a year from now on so I will try and hold myself to that. Hopefully by the time I'm posting this time next year, we'll all be millionaires or at least able to afford home insurance.


A groundhog and some starlings harvesting seeds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu

The Mail on Sunday Feature

Hi everyone. Well, it's not every day that The Mail on Sunday runs a double-page spread about the book you are writing. This is what happened to me last Sunday, and I'm still recovering from the shock. It was about three weeks ago that I received an email, completely out of the blue, from the paper's chief reporter. Apparently, he had been researching the issue of copyright on unpublished letters for something he was working on and had come across a blog post that I had  written about this very subject. https://melissalawrencewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/publish-and-be-damned.html The post in question was about my own copyright issues concerning the large collection of letters and postcards I have inherited from my grandmother. These are not just any old letters and postcards. They were written to my grandmother by her close friend, Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, between

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.