Skip to main content

Slightly Late To The Party

Hi everyone.

Well, I'm not sure where September and October went to but somehow it's now November and over two months since my last post. The good news is that after a lot of faffing about and spending way too much time "thinking" instead of "doing" (although you can probably blame the debilitating effects of the peri-menopause for that), I have decided that I'm definitely putting writing back at the forefront of my portfolio career. That means I'm upping my game in terms of blogging, sending stuff out and generally getting my writing act together.

If I hadn't been rather comatose throughout most of October, I would definitely have blogged about National Poetry Day which was on October 6th. Actually, it was watching an inspiring programme about poetry on the BBC that aired around this time which helped to kickstart my writing again, as well as another programme on the slightly less well-known channel Notts TV which featured the very funny and talented poet, writer and producer Henry Normal.

Poetry has been with me throughout my entire life as both a reader and a writer. It's the only aspect of writing that I've ever felt comes relatively easily to me (the rest feels like walking up a hill backwards while carrying an extremely heavy power tool and that's on a good day) and I can't imagine life without it.

Poetry is also great for those occasions when there is really no way of expressing how you feel about something except in the form of a poem. So on a day when an awful lot of people around the world are probably feeling the same way as I am about the result of last night's presidential elections in America, here is my rather belated poem to celebrate National Poetry Day.

Several words can rhyme with Trump,
It's quite surprising to see.
I'll leave you to work out which ones they are,
My favourite begins with 'C'.

Back soon, hopefully. Keep the faith!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Rant Against Writers' Groups

When I opened my copy of the Autumn issue of The New Writer earlier today ( http://www.thenewwriter.com/ ) I was rather surprised to see how many times my name appeared. It was nine times if anyone other than me is interested, even beating the great Simon Whaley (Hi Simon!) who was only mentioned seven times, although I'm happy to accept a re-count if he insists on one. On a more serious note, the reason for this unusual proliferation was because a while back, I had a piece published in the open "rant" slot of TNW explaining why, in my opinion, professional writers shouldn't belong to writers' groups. I admit I had my Polly Toynbee hat on at the time and was trying to be a bit controversial but nevertheless, I stand by everything I said in that piece. Much to my surprise, someone agreed with me. Someone also strongly disagreed with me, saying I had been"extremely patronising" and expressing great relief that I wasn't a member of their writers...