Skip to main content

New Year, New Blog!

Hi everyone.

It's a new year, a new decade and a new blog! Well, strictly speaking it's an old blog but it has had a bit of a makeover and instead of just posting about my writing career on here, now I'm combining it with designing and crafting posts too. Yes, it might have been easier to start afresh with a brand new blog but these days, recycling is the thing, isn't it?!

I've been feeling for quite a while now that I just have too much "stuff", both online and offline, so January has seen me having a bit of a declutter and making an attempt to streamline things more. I'm hoping that by having one blog instead of three, and only five social media accounts instead of eight (Yes, I know!), I might be able to post more and panic less. We shall see.

So please bear with me as I get used to the new format. Obviously if you look at all the posts before this one, they will all be related to writing but fear not. Designing and crafting posts will soon appear, I promise.

In the meantime, I've created a quick digital design for you using one of my favourite techniques which is "colouring in" vector graphics and digistamps on the computer. It's a bit time-consuming but I love doing it and I did promise myself that I'd do more of what I love this year.

Have a great 2020!

Melissa x 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu...