Skip to main content

So This Is Christmas

Hi everyone.

So this is Christmas, as someone once sang. Well, almost anyway. This time next week you will probably be knee-deep in non-recyclable wrapping paper, planning that detox diet for January after one Brussel sprout too many and wondering if you can possibly face watching The Sound of Music with your Auntie Pat for the 27th Christmas in a row.



Of course, you might not be doing any of these things if a)You don’t celebrate Christmas b)You try to ignore Christmas c)Christmas has been cancelled or at least severely curtailed (yet again) following the worrying impact of the omnipotent omicron variant rearing its ugly head. Do viruses have heads? I should have paid more attention in Biology at school.



Anyway, whether Christmas in your household is a chore, a bore or a wonderful furore, I hope you have a Happy One. Stay safe, stay at home (for as much as you can manage) and stay away from those pesky roast parsnips. They must be the most disappointing vegetable in the world.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu...