Skip to main content

Creativity by John Cleese: A Review

Hi everyone.

I have to start this review with a confession. I was never a big fan of the comedy juggernaut that was Monty Python and I'm afraid that Fawlty Towers did nothing for me either. However, I am a big fan of the notion of "creativity", whatever it is, and I had no problem at all, when I heard about this book, in accepting that John Cleese would know a thing or two about it.

To be honest, I was also attracted to the book because it says on the cover that it is ‘A Short and Cheerful Guide’ and as someone who now finds reading a whole book to be quite a challenge (Netflix has a lot to answer for), I decided to give it a go and much to my relief, War and Peace it is most definitely not.

Although Creativity seems mainly aimed at writers, which makes sense given the background which Cleese is coming from, as someone who works with "creativity" on a daily basis not just in writing but in art, design and crafting too, I’m pleased to say that it still made sense.

That’s not to say that the book will “teach” you to be creative though and neither does it waste any of its 103 pages going into depth about what creativity actually is, if indeed it can be defined. I would recommend the book Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert if that is more your thing.

Instead, it seems to me, that the book is actually about how to be more creative and in particular how to be better tuned in to the circumstances, over which you have some control, which will allow you to do this on a comparatively consistent basis.

The section that starts with the highlighted sentence “The greatest killer of creativity is interruption” is a good example of this. As someone who has worked from home for over twenty-five years, I was interested to hear how all the people who suddenly had to come out of their workplace and into their homes during the pandemic would fair. “Not very well” was what I heard a lot of the time and it appears that the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s nemesis, “the person from Porlock” who was apparently to blame for Coleridge failing to finish his famous poem Kubla Khan, is still active today in the form of the Amazon delivery driver.

I also found Cleese’s analogy of the ‘Tortoise Mind’ and the ‘Hare Brain’ particularly useful. As I’m writing this, I realise that I've been continually switching between my Tortoise Mind and my Hare Brain. The former has already been slowly ruminating and pondering this piece for several days now, gently pulling up ideas and phrases that I might use in it, but my Hare Brain is now hard at work reminding me that this is a book review and not my own version of War and Peace, so requires at least some keywords, taut phrases and SEO friendly links if anyone is ever actually going to read it.

Then we have the concept of ‘play’ which is clearly something the author feels strongly about as being an essential part of being creative. This is something I continually struggle with. Although I can grasp the concept of just being creative for the sake of being creative and getting “enjoyably absorbed” in something without worrying about where I’m headed, making a mistake or whether I’m going to earn any money, I find it really difficult to do. Maybe it’s my entrepreneurial background or that Protestant Work Ethic thing but even after reading this book, I still don’t know how to give myself “permission” to play.

So Creativity doesn’t provide all the answers but maybe that’s the point. Cleese has provided some useful creative tools and now it’s up to the reader to work with them to be more creative. And even if that doesn’t happen for you after you’ve read the book, I can guarantee that you will have spent considerably less time and been considerably more amused than if you’d chosen to read War and Peace instead.


Title: Creativity

Author: John Cleese

Publisher: Hutchinson 2020

ISBN 978-1786332257

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creativity-Short-Cheerful-John-Cleese/dp/1786332256/ref=asc_df_1786332256/



 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu

The Mail on Sunday Feature

Hi everyone. Well, it's not every day that The Mail on Sunday runs a double-page spread about the book you are writing. This is what happened to me last Sunday, and I'm still recovering from the shock. It was about three weeks ago that I received an email, completely out of the blue, from the paper's chief reporter. Apparently, he had been researching the issue of copyright on unpublished letters for something he was working on and had come across a blog post that I had  written about this very subject. https://melissalawrencewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/publish-and-be-damned.html The post in question was about my own copyright issues concerning the large collection of letters and postcards I have inherited from my grandmother. These are not just any old letters and postcards. They were written to my grandmother by her close friend, Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, between

What Makes A Good Beginning?

Hi everyone. Happy New Year! I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas, if you celebrate it of course, and as it’s now the beginning of another new year, I thought I’d pose the question “What makes a good beginning?” So if you’ve not already had enough quizzes over the festive period, you might like to have a go at seeing how many of these famous novels you can identify from their opening lines. Answers are at the end of the post if you want to put yourself out of your misery. 1. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. 2. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. 3. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. 4. Call me Ishmael. 5. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. 6. It was a pleasure to burn. 7. Like most people I lived for a long time with my mother and father . 8. Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . 9. Far out in the uncharted b