Skip to main content

Die Hard - A Christmas Movie? Absolutely!

Hi everyone.

Along with the Northern Lights, the Rolling Stones live and a golden eagle, I never thought I would see the movie Die Hard. But now I have and although film buffs may throw down their copies of Barry Norman's biography in horror, I can confirm that in my opinion anyway, it absolutely is a Christmas movie.

So what qualifies the vest-wearing, Beretta 92F-toting, man-of- few-words Bruce Willis epic to be a fully paid-up member of this Holy of Holies? After all, Home Alone, White Christmas or Love Actually, it most definitely is not.

I can't believe you got me socks again.

The most obvious answer is that the story takes place on Christmas Eve and continues into Christmas Day and what can be more "Christmassy" than that? The baddies, led by the late great and sweetly sinister Alan Rickman, arrive as an office Christmas party is in full swing and there are numerous references throughout the film to Christmas, including Santa jokes and Christmas music, not to mention lots of violent deaths. (Another slice of turkey, anyone?) 

But just because a movie is set at Christmas time and contains recognisable Christmas tropes, does that make it a Christmas movie? And on the flip side of this argument, does a movie have to be set around the festive period to qualify? If that were the case, then the classic 1944 musical Meet Me In St. Louis which covers a whole year wouldn't count, even though it features on many Christmas movie lists and was the official debut of the enduringly, popular Christmas song Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

I'm so pleased we subscribed to Disney+ this year.

Maybe the whole Christmas movie debate is more of a marketing issue, anyway. We tend to think of films that are shown around Christmas time as "Christmas movies", simply because the movie moguls planned for their films to be released or repeatedly broadcast in the run up to December, as opposed to the middle of July. After all, I don't remember there being any singing Santas in The Sound of Music and not a single reindeer was in sight when Steve McQueen and his cronies attempted to escape from Stalag Luft III. But if these films are not shown at least somewhere over the Christmas period, we feel cheated.

And as for the argument that Christmas movies should focus on the more positive aspects of the festive season such as joy, generosity, love and nostalgia, this implies that Christmas is the same for everyone which is clearly not the case. If every Christmas movie had to be all jolly jingle bells and cute candy canes, then It's A Wonderful Life certainly shouldn't have become a Christmas movie classic. Even Home Alone, with its questionable premise of an abandoned and abused kid, (even though that kid was Macaulay Culkin), shouldn't really have made the cut.

Hurry up, someone else is after that Christmas tree!

In the end, I think it should come down to your own personal definition of what makes a Christmas movie, regardless of whether someone, somewhere, has classed it as a CM or not. It might be an endearing romantic comedy that you can enjoy after the kids have finally gone to bed, snuggled up on the sofa with your Other Half, of half a bottle of Prosecco if that's your preference. It might be a nostalgic movie that you love to revisit every Christmas and which you can safely watch with all the family, even Great Aunt Flo who thought there was too much sex in Brief Encounter

Or it might be an action-packed, thrill-a-minute adventure film with amazing special effects (even though it came out in 1988) humour, pathos, romance, a fabulous musical score and (Spoiler Alert) a decent, if somewhat reckless central character who,assisted by some likeable minor characters, allows good to triumph over evil and which, if only for two hours and eleven minutes, takes your mind off all the things that are getting you down at this time of year.

Can you believe they are charging £2.50 for a mince pie?

And that's why, for me, Die Hard is absolutely a Christmas movie. 

Let me know what you think! 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu

The Mail on Sunday Feature

Hi everyone. Well, it's not every day that The Mail on Sunday runs a double-page spread about the book you are writing. This is what happened to me last Sunday, and I'm still recovering from the shock. It was about three weeks ago that I received an email, completely out of the blue, from the paper's chief reporter. Apparently, he had been researching the issue of copyright on unpublished letters for something he was working on and had come across a blog post that I had  written about this very subject. https://melissalawrencewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/publish-and-be-damned.html The post in question was about my own copyright issues concerning the large collection of letters and postcards I have inherited from my grandmother. These are not just any old letters and postcards. They were written to my grandmother by her close friend, Ethel North, who was lady's maid and companion to Lady Winifred Burghclere, elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, between

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a