Skip to main content

Should I Tell My Therapist I Have An Imaginary Cat?

Hi everyone.


It was T.S. Eliot who nominated April as the cruellest month but for me, it’s any month where the temperature regularly goes above 22 degrees. I realise that in many parts of the world that happens pretty much all year round but here in the UK, we’re usually only talking about June, July and August although I do remember us having a heatwave in October once.

Personally I hate being hot although I’m now of the age where that can happen even when the temperature outside is below freezing. And of course, the summer temperatures we have are nothing compared with the horrendous heights on the thermometer and their deadly effects that occur in other places.

But even in relatively “Cool Britannia”, we can still have trouble working, exercising, eating, concentrating and keeping our temper in the summer months. (Or is that just me?) Trying to sleep, in our air-conditionedless houses with little or no insulation that can feel almost as hot at night as they do in the day, is a particular problem. And don’t get me started on how light it is at 5am when the birds start singing and the sun makes its first appearance just as you’ve finally managed to nod off. 



What usually works for me is pretty simple, has no side effects and works not just for helping me to get to sleep but is also a great way of calming my overactive brain whenever things are getting a bit much.

I’m not sure if I should tell my therapist this but I have an imaginary cat. Her name is Tinkerbell and she lives with me on an imaginary boat called Fairport Clover. We sail across various seas and oceans during the day but at night, we put the imaginary anchor down in a nice, safe and secluded spot. Then I cook a tasty, imaginary meal on the imaginary stove in the imaginary galley and share some of it with Tinkerbell. She is an imaginary cat so her diet can be a bit varied.

But the best part of the night is when we both settle down on the imaginary bunk in the imaginary cabin and I play a game called Going Through The Alphabet. I think Tinkerbell would like to join in but she falls asleep much more quickly than I do.




The game involves choosing a topic such as girls’ names or items found in the kitchen and going through the alphabet naming one item in the chosen category for each letter. I started off with relatively simple things like pop song titles or footballers’ surnames but as time went on and I began to run out of categories, they’ve become much more complicated.

For instance, my recent categories have included one, two, three or four syllable boys’ names, alliterative pop songs, film titles that contain an adjective, noun or verb and words that rhyme with the previous word.

Trust me, if you’re not falling asleep even thinking about that, you soon will be!

So next time you are struggling to get some shut-eye, why not give the game a go? Tinkerbell and I can highly recommend it.

Category Suggestions

book titles

film characters

hobbies

sports stars

countries

things that are green

items found in a garage

things that fly

words with four syllables

sandwich fillings

things made with wood

board games

historical characters

song titles that contain a country

one word TV programmes









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Rant Against Writers' Groups

When I opened my copy of the Autumn issue of The New Writer earlier today ( http://www.thenewwriter.com/ ) I was rather surprised to see how many times my name appeared. It was nine times if anyone other than me is interested, even beating the great Simon Whaley (Hi Simon!) who was only mentioned seven times, although I'm happy to accept a re-count if he insists on one. On a more serious note, the reason for this unusual proliferation was because a while back, I had a piece published in the open "rant" slot of TNW explaining why, in my opinion, professional writers shouldn't belong to writers' groups. I admit I had my Polly Toynbee hat on at the time and was trying to be a bit controversial but nevertheless, I stand by everything I said in that piece. Much to my surprise, someone agreed with me. Someone also strongly disagreed with me, saying I had been"extremely patronising" and expressing great relief that I wasn't a member of their writers...