Skip to main content

Wear It Pink Day 2024

Hi everyone.

It’s a busy month, October. There’s so much going on, it’s difficult to know what to write about. We’ve already had National Poetry Day and we’re still just about in Chocolate Week (hoorah!) with Menopause Day, National Cat Day and, of course, Halloween still to come. Diwali, the Hindu festival of Lights begins on 31 October this year which is just a few days after British Summer Time ends. And if that wasn’t enough, Leicester City are playing Southampton which is a “six-pointer” if ever there was one! 

But I’ve decided to go with Wear It Pink Day which is on 18 October and aims to raise funds for the amazing work done by Breast Cancer Now, the UK’s largest breast cancer charity. Did you know that breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK with around 55,000 women and 400 men diagnosed with breast cancer every year? So it’s an extremely important cause and I thought I’d see if I could prompt you into making a donation by setting this fun quiz on the theme of ‘pink’. It’s up to you how you use it but maybe a minimum of a pound donation for every question you get right? Answers are at the bottom of the post.


1. Which actress played Barbie in the ultimate “pink” movie released in 2023?

a) Emma Watson

b) Margot Robbie

c) Meryl Streep


2. Which of these is not a song by the pop artist Pink?

a) Get the Party Started

b) Raise Your Glass

c) In the Pink


3. Pink Eye is a common name for what?

a) Conjunctivitis

b) Rabies

c) Amblyopia


4. Which of these pinks is a predicted Pantone Colour of the Year for 2025?

a) Transcendent Pink

b) Transparent Pink

c) Sick Pink


5. In which year was Pink Floyd’s mesmerising album The Dark Side of the Moon released?

a) 1969

b) 1973

c) 1977


6. Who starred as Andie in the 1986 film Pretty in Pink?

a) Winona Ryder

b) Michelle Pfeiffer

c) Molly Ringwald


7. The wife of which American president famously wore an eye-catching pink dress, the colour of which became known as First Lady Pink?

a) Dwight Eisenhower

b) John Kennedy

c) Joe Biden


8. Pinky and Perky, who appeared on children’s TV in the 1950s and 1960s were which type of animal?

a) Koala bears

b) Pigs

c) Donkeys


9. Which novel published in 1983 has a character called Pinkie Brown?

a) The Colour Purple

b) Love in the Time of Cholera

c) Brighton Rock


10. In which sporting event does the winner wear a pink jersey?

a) The Giro d’Italia

b) The Miami Grand Prix

c) The Red Bull Soapbox Race



Hopefully you managed to get them all right and at least ten pounds is on the way to Breast Cancer Now.!



Answers:


1 (b)

2 (c)

3 (a)

4 (a)

5 (b)

6 (c)

7 (a)

8 (b)

9 (c)

10 (a)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Rant Against Writers' Groups

When I opened my copy of the Autumn issue of The New Writer earlier today ( http://www.thenewwriter.com/ ) I was rather surprised to see how many times my name appeared. It was nine times if anyone other than me is interested, even beating the great Simon Whaley (Hi Simon!) who was only mentioned seven times, although I'm happy to accept a re-count if he insists on one. On a more serious note, the reason for this unusual proliferation was because a while back, I had a piece published in the open "rant" slot of TNW explaining why, in my opinion, professional writers shouldn't belong to writers' groups. I admit I had my Polly Toynbee hat on at the time and was trying to be a bit controversial but nevertheless, I stand by everything I said in that piece. Much to my surprise, someone agreed with me. Someone also strongly disagreed with me, saying I had been"extremely patronising" and expressing great relief that I wasn't a member of their writers...