Skip to main content

Ninety Nine Red Baboons


Hi everyone

Can you remember the first joke you ever heard? I think this one is probably mine.

If an elephant climbs up a tree, how does it get down again?

Sits on a leaf and waits until Autumn.

That was definitely a "dad joke" as it was my late father who told it to me. I think I might have been about six at the time. Sixty years on, I can still remember laughing at it but also not really understanding why it was funny. But I could definitely see the elephant on the leaf up in the tree and that was the part of the experience which made me laugh.



When I was about the same age, I also found an old First Aid book which had jokes in it and they weren't even Doctor, Doctor jokes, either.

One of the very first ones I remember reading and understanding, if not finding absolutely hilarious, was a variation of this old favourite:

Johnny: My sister's gone on holiday.

Peter: Jamaica?

Johnny: No, she wanted to go.

Although I think I liked the rhythm of the way the joke was written, it was definitely the clever play on words to create the humour which struck me. Although I had no idea then, I was probably hearing my first ever "pun" and jokes that rely on puns are something I've loved hearing and writing, ever since.



So if you asked me what my favourite joke is, I'd probably say the one that made me laugh really, really loudly in a cinema packed full of people. It's the scene from the film Airplane! when one of the characters requests a ticket to board a plane and the booking clerk asks if they want smoking or non-smoking. It's a very silly gag and if you've not seen the film, I won't spoil the joke for you, but the combination of the visual pun and the actual pun makes the perfect joke, at least for me, anyway.


One of the things I like to do, especially when I can't get to sleep, is to re-invent titles that combine categories such as films with food and drink. It's a great way of coming up with inventive (or not!) puns and here are a few of my current favourites for the category of pop songs.


Theme = Animals

1) Ninety Nine Red Baboons

2) Great Bulls of Fire

3) Cow herd of the County

4) Our Mouse

5) No Bunny Does It Better


Theme = Sport

1) Eye of the Tiger Woods

2) Wichita Linesman

3) Ain't That A Free Kick In The Head

4) Misty Blue Ball

5) After the Gold Medal Rush


Theme = Body Parts

1) Hair, There and Everywhere

2) When I Kneed You

3) Holding Back the Ears 

4) Absolute Beginners (Think about it!)

5) Love Me Tendon

 

So...my grammar school education wasn't wasted after all. My old headmistress would be very proud (!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Rant Against Writers' Groups

When I opened my copy of the Autumn issue of The New Writer earlier today ( http://www.thenewwriter.com/ ) I was rather surprised to see how many times my name appeared. It was nine times if anyone other than me is interested, even beating the great Simon Whaley (Hi Simon!) who was only mentioned seven times, although I'm happy to accept a re-count if he insists on one. On a more serious note, the reason for this unusual proliferation was because a while back, I had a piece published in the open "rant" slot of TNW explaining why, in my opinion, professional writers shouldn't belong to writers' groups. I admit I had my Polly Toynbee hat on at the time and was trying to be a bit controversial but nevertheless, I stand by everything I said in that piece. Much to my surprise, someone agreed with me. Someone also strongly disagreed with me, saying I had been"extremely patronising" and expressing great relief that I wasn't a member of their writers...