Skip to main content

Writing Distractions

The other week it was the snooker, now it's the cricket and the French Open tennis. I'm talking about the things that distract me from getting down to writing.

Although I love "having written", it is the actual writing bit that can be a problem. I often wonder if this is exclusive to writers (or other "creatives" as I have exactly the same problem with my craftwork) or do plumbers, electricians, nurses and shopkeepers find it difficult to get down to work? Once I've actually started, it's usually fine and the problem then is not wanting to stop.

Here are my top five tips for not getting distracted from starting to write. Let me know if you have any favourite ones that work for you.

1. Aim to start work within 90 minutes of getting out of bed.
2. Avoid working anywhere near a room that has a television and a comfy chair.
3. Don't check emails until you have done at least an hour's writing.
4. Keep the phone out of the work area unless you have to use it to make a call.
5. Remember that looking at other writers' websites and blogs doesn't count as writing!

Good luck with keeping your writing distractions at bay. I'm off now to stick a large note on the kitchen door that says "Procrastination is the thief of words". I'll let you know if it works.       

Comments

  1. Do you follow your own top tips religiously? I make all sorts of resolutions but find them impossible to keep. My own top tip would be to turn off the Internet connection (your no 5 touches on that). I am terrible about looking at websites of all kinds when I should be writing. I try to claim that it's research. Who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Vanessa, I don't, which is why it is well after midnight and I am still at my desk!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Show

Sorry that there is no new post this week. I am a "no show" due to the wheels coming off my trolley on Tuesday when I tried some glandular therapy treatment for my ongoing hypoadrenalism and ended up passed out on the hall floor. At the moment, my brain feels like it is full of cotton-wool and writing anything deep and meaningful (or even anything shallow and nonsensical) seems quite difficult. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible so please do not adjust your settings.

Portfolio Career

I have been telling everyone recently that I now have a "portfolio career". Most people don't know what I mean by this (someone even said they'd have to "Google" it!) but it's really just a fancy way of saying that you have fingers in several different pies. I have been a "professional" writer since 1995 although I have always been a writer of some sort, ever since I was at school. During this time, I have stuck pretty religiously to writing and only occasionally had flights of fancy about getting a "proper" job. (And I still do. Only this time last week, I found myself offering to manage a jazz band!!) However, for various reasons, I've recently been seriously exploring other freelancing options that I can do alongside writing and have now decided to "rebrand" myself as a writer, a crafter and a musician. I also plan to carry on working on community newsletters and do something in the spiritual healing/growth area a...

Shortlisted in the Writer's Toolkit Flash Fiction Competition

Hi everyone. A good writing week this week, despite the distractions of the cricket and the tennis, possibly because my portfolio career has been suspended, pending further enquiries (don't tell my patrons!) and I've been at my desk every night. Long may it continue! I said in my last post that I was recently shortlisted (top ten) in the Writer's Toolkit flash fiction competition. The competition brief was to write a short story of 150 words or less on the theme of 'Secrets'. My story actually came out at exactly 150 words because at the last minute, after I'd sealed the envelope, I suddenly panicked and decided that the wording of the rules could mean that the story had to be exactly 150 words. Mine was 149 if I remember correctly and it was surprisingly difficult to add that extra word! Apparently the competition attracted 182 entries (which I must admit was quite a surprise) and entries came from several European countries as well as the UK. I was particu...